With the right blender – whether it’s the Magic Bullet, the Nutribullet Pro, or the Nutri Ninja Pro – there is no limit on the number and variety of tasty treats you can create.
Whether you are in the market for a blender you can use to create nutritious protein shakes and smoothies, or you want to have the ability to make delicious milkshakes and other sweet treats at home, we can help!
Not only will we highlight some of the best blenders on the market for protein shakes and milkshakes, but our helpful buyer’s guide will also explain everything you should look for in a new blender. This means highlighting the most important features and indicators of quality. When you know what to look for, shopping for a new blender is actually really straightforward!
The Best Blenders for Protein Shakes
Given that protein shakes are very different from milkshakes, we will first help you find the best blender for protein shakes. From there, we will look for the best blender for milkshakes.
While all of the blenders we have chosen could easily work well for either application, we find it is better to divide our list this way, as it will help you find the perfect blender for your exact needs!
1. Best Overall for Protein Shakes – Ninja – BL610 72oz Professional 1,000-Watt Smoothie Blender
If you know anything about blenders, you will probably recognize the Ninja brand. It’s known for making incredibly powerful and durable blenders that can tackle everything from rock-hard ice cubes to squishy bananas.
This B1610 Professional Smoothie Blender from Ninja lives up to the brand’s impressive reputation. Its 1,000-Watt motor is more than powerful enough to crush ice and puree even the most stubborn frozen ingredients. If you are someone who enjoys putting frozen fruit into your morning protein shake, you will be amazed at how quickly this Ninja blender can make that happen.
The extra-large 72 oz. pitcher is also really helpful if you want to make more than one serving. It is ideal for frozen drinks as well as creamy smoothies and protein shakes. Where this blender really stands out is the number of extra features it offers. For example, it is outfitted with Ninja’s patented “Auto-iQ Intelligent Blend Technology,” which can detect the density of the ingredients you are blending. The blender will then adjust the amount of power it uses to make sure it can liquify that ingredient in seconds.
It is also incredibly easy to clean, as the pitcher has a BPA-free easy-clean interior surface. It is also dishwasher-safe, which is great news if you use whey protein and other ingredients that are difficult to clean. The pitcher also has measurement markings, so you can easily measure out your ingredients with accuracy. Overall, it is an outstanding blender for making protein shakes; however, it is so powerful and versatile that it can be used for just about any other type of application.
- Extremely powerful 1,000-Watt motor can tackle anything, including large chunks of ice
- Features four unique pre-programmed settings and four manual speed settings so you can find the perfect speed for your protein shake
- Includes a free recipe book, which features a wide variety of recipes you can use your blender to create
- Easy-clean surface and dishwasher-safe parts
- Features Ninja’s unique Auto-iQ Intelligent Blend Technology
- Somewhat expensive for a blender with a plastic pitcher
2. Best Single-serve Protein Shake Blender – NutriBullet – NBR 1201 600-Watt 12-piece High-speed Blender
If you live alone, or you are the only person in your home that is interested in making protein shakes and smoothies, this NutriBullet High-speed Personal Blender is the ideal choice. Like the much larger Ninja blender above, it has a powerful motor, which means it can easily puree frozen fruit and solid ice cubes.
In fact, this little blender features a 600-Watt motor, which is incredibly powerful for a single-serve blender. It also features razor-sharp blades, which help blend whole foods into liquid fuel in mere seconds. The blades were specifically designed for nutrient extraction, so they can even break down seeds and nuts to ensure they are more digestible.
One of the things we like the most about this little blender is how easy it is to use. You simply take one of the serving cups and screw on one of the extractor blade lids. From there, you screw the cup into the blender and press down. You can then drink your protein shake or smoothie directly from the cup, or pour it into one of the two drinking cups that come with the blender system.
Another highlight of this blender is how easy it is to clean. The BPA-free plastic cups wash clean in seconds, and they are extremely durable, so they will not crack or chip as you clean them. They are also dishwasher-safe, which can save you plenty of time and effort when it comes time to clean everything up. The fact it comes with extra cups is great for those that are into meal prep, as you can make an entire day’s worth of protein shakes at the same time, then leave them in your refrigerator to drink at your convenience.
Overall, this is the ideal blender for anyone that is looking for a powerful and easy-to-use, single-serve blender.
- Powerful 600-Watt motor liquifies frozen ingredients in seconds
- Stainless-steel extractor blades were specifically designed to pulverize and liquify even the toughest ingredients, including frozen fruit, ice cubes, seeds, and nuts
- The blades and cups are all incredibly easy to clean and most of the parts are dishwasher-safe
- Comes with extra cups and fresh-seal lids, so you can bring your protein shakes and smoothies with you on the go
- So simple and easy to use that it is even safe for children
- capacity might not work for those with families, but it was designed for single-serving smoothies and shakes
- Only has one speed setting
3. Best Budget-friendly Option – Oster – 6812 Core 16-Speed Glass Blender
For those that are on a tighter budget, this reliable smoothie and shake blender from Oster is an excellent option that will not break the bank. Despite its affordable price, the Oster Core 16-speed Blender offers a wide variety of features that are usually only found in higher-end blenders.
For starters, it is powered by a 700-Watt motor, so it can easily crush and puree the toughest ingredients. This is great news if you like adding frozen ingredients to your smoothies. It also features a 450-Watt setting, which is a great option if you prefer a chunkier protein shake and do not want to completely liquify the ingredients.
As the name suggests, it has 16 unique speed settings, so you can easily fine-tune the blender until you find the speed that works for you. It also has a pulse setting, which is really helpful for breaking down frozen ingredients and ensuring an even consistency for your smoothie or shake.
The serving pitcher is made from high-grade Boroclass glass, which means it is incredibly durable and dishwasher-safe. Again, you usually only see this material being used on the more expensive models, which is why this is such a fantastic option for those on a budget. The blender’s body is made from stainless steel, so it looks great and is much easier to clean than a plastic blender.
Overall, this is a fantastic blender that is perfectly suited for making protein shakes and smoothies. If you are on a budget, or you just want a great blender at a fair place, look no further than this Oster Core 16-speed Blender.
- Powerful 700-Watt motor
- 16 unique speed settings and a pulse mode ensure you get the exact consistency you desire
- Glass pitcher and stainless steel body so it looks great and is easy to clean
- 10-year warranty on the metal DuraLast motor and drive shaft
- Crush Pro 4 Blades can pulverize any ingredients
- Fantastic quality for a budget-friendly blender
- Very noisy when operating at higher speeds
The Best Blenders for Milkshakes
Now that we have highlighted our top three picks for the best blenders for protein shakes, we can move on to our top picks for the best milkshake blenders.
1.The Premium Option – Ninja – BL600 Professional Blender for Frozen Drinks
The fact that we have featured two Ninja blenders is a testament to the brand’s outstanding reputation for quality. This powerful blender has settings that work perfectly for crafting the perfect milkshake and any other frozen drink, but it is powerful enough to easily crush ice, so it can be used for just about any type of blended drink.
The 1,100-Watt base delivers outstanding power; however, some of the lower power modes will be preferable when you are making milkshakes and other frozen desserts. What we really liked about this blender is the fact that it comes with 16oz single serving cups and matching blender attachments, which are ideal when you are just making a smoothie or milkshake for yourself. When you are making milkshakes for the entire family, the high-capacity pitcher is a great option.
The fact that the main blending tool has six blades and reaches the full height of the pitcher ensures that your milkshakes, smoothies, and shakes will all have an even consistency, even if you fill the full 72oz. pitcher with ingredients!
The single-serve cups, lids, and the massive pitcher are all dishwasher-safe and BPA-free, so cleanup is a breeze. It features four manual control settings, as well as four pre-programmed smart settings, which make it easy to create frozen drinks in seconds.
Whether you are just planning to make a creamy milkshake, or you are looking for a high-quality, all-purpose blender, the Ninja BL600 Professional is an outstanding option.
- Extremely powerful 1,100-Watt motor
- The single-serve cups and main pitcher are all easy-to-clean and dishwasher-safe
- Comes with single-serve blending cups and blending attachment
- Multiple speeds and pre-programmed blend settings allow you to easily make anything from milkshakes to frozen cocktails
- Somewhat expensive, especially if you are just planning to use it for milkshakes
2. Best Single-serve Milkshake Blender – Hamilton Beach – Personal 14oz Blender
If you live alone, or you only plan on making milkshakes for yourself, this affordable blender from Hamilton Beach is a great option. The compact design means the blender is small enough to put away in a cupboard when it is not in use, or, if you prefer to leave it out, you will not have to worry about it taking up much space on your kitchen counter.
Its efficient 175-Watt motor provides more than enough power to make single-serve milkshakes, and it operates efficiently enough that they will have a smooth and even consistency. The one-touch blending button also ensures it is incredibly easy to use. The 14oz. container is small enough that you can easily drink your milkshakes and smoothies directly from it.
We also like how easy it is to clean, as the BPA-free plastic has a smooth surface and it is completely dishwasher-safe. The power cord wraps around the base of the blender, so it has a clean appearance and is easy to put away into storage. Despite its relatively small motor, the stainless-steel blades are extremely sharp, so it can even tackle frozen fruit and ice cubes.
As an added bonus, it is available in four unique colors, so you can find a version of this blender that matches your own style and kitchen décor. Overall, it is a great option for single-serve milkshakes and smoothies, and it is available at a very budget-friendly price.
- Compact, travel-friendly design, so you can take your blender with you on the go
- Retractable cord and small dimensions mean it is easy to store in a cupboard when it is not being used
- Affordable price for a blender that works really well
- Easy-to-clean jar and lid are BPA-free and dishwasher-safe
- User-friendly design means that it is simple and safe enough to be used by children and seniors
- Available in four different colors, so you can match it to your kitchen and personal style
- Extremely sharp blending teeth get the most out of the 175-Watt electric motor
- Only has one speed setting
3. Best Specialized Milkshake Blender – Hamilton Beach – Professional Retro Die-cast Milkshake and Protein Shake Blender
If you prefer the retro look and a blender that was specifically designed for making delicious milkshakes, you cannot go wrong with the Hamilton Beach Professional Die-cast Milkshake Blender.
While it has the appearance of a retro, fountain-style milkshake mixer, you should not let its appearance fool you into thinking it is underpowered. The commercial-grade mixing and blending spindle can easily work through frozen ingredients. The stainless-steel cup is also dishwasher-safe and the spindle tilts forward, so it is also easy to clean.
The body is made from die-cast aluminum, so it is incredibly durable and easily wipes clean. The two-speed motor generates a significant amount of power, so your milkshakes and smoothies will have an even consistency. This mixer-style blender can be used to create a wide variety of recipes, including fluffy omelettes, delicious pancake batter, and the perfect frozen desserts.
We really love the appearance and think it will look beautiful on your kitchen countertop. The combination of retro aesthetic and modern performance means this is the ultimate milkshake blender for anyone that is looking for a specialized appliance.
- Hamilton Beach has been making milkshake blenders since 1911, so the brand certainly knows what it is doing
- The durable, die-cast aluminium housing is designed to last and is incredibly easy to clean
- Two-speed precision motor generates enough power to ensure that your milkshakes and protein shakes have an even consistency
- The unit tilts back for easier cup removal and to ensure that you have more control during mixing and blending
- The stainless steel 28oz. mixing cup helps keep your milkshake cold and it is both dishwasher-safe and easy to clean by hand
- Has a retro, yet sleek appearance that looks great on any kitchen countertop
- Backed by a five-year limited warranty
- Works much better for milkshakes and other recipes that do not include tough ingredients
- Somewhat expensive for a blender that only features a 100-Watt electric motor
Important Features to Look for When Shopping for a New Blender
While you may think that all blenders have the same basic design, the truth is there are plenty of features that will separate one blender from the next. These versatile kitchen tools are designed to complete different tasks, so they all have different features and specifications.
By taking the time to make sure that you are investing in a high-quality blender, you can choose a product that will continue to work well for many years.
Variable Speed Settings
Some of the most basic models only have a single speed setting, while the better units can have as many as 10. Choosing a blender that has a variety of speeds will allow you to ensure that your protein shakes, smoothies, and milkshakes all have the exact consistency you prefer.
If you enjoy a more pureed protein shake or milkshake, the ability to use high speeds will make this much easier. On the other hand, if you enjoy a lightly blended smoothie or milkshake that has a lumpy texture, the lower speeds will help you achieve this.
Different speed settings also let you start out slow and gradually increase the speed as your ingredients begin to liquify. Not only does this ensure a smoother and more uniform consistency, it will actually put far less strain on your blender’s motor. This will help your blender survive for much longer, so you can continue to use it for many years to come.
Pitcher Material and Size
Just about every blender you find will feature a pitcher that is made from one of three materials – plastic, glass, or stainless steel. They also come in all kinds of different sizes.
The type of material you choose, as well as the size of the container, will depend on your own unique needs and preferences. If, for example, you are someone that lives alone and you are just looking for a small, lightweight blender that you can use to create single-serve protein shakes, a small-capacity plastic container might be ideal for you.
On the other hand, if you plan on making milkshakes for the whole family, you might need a large-capacity blender made of glass. There are advantages and disadvantages of each type of blender pitcher, so make sure you choose one that matches your own unique needs.
While glass pitchers are heavier, they are very durable and easy to clean. On the other hand, plastic containers are very light, but they can be fragile and they are usually much more difficult to clean. Stainless-steel pitchers are the least common and tend to be both expensive and heavy, but they really hold the cold in, which is great when you are making milkshakes and frozen drinks.
Size of the Motor
As you would expect, blenders also come with electric motors of all different sizes. There is a major difference between a 500-Watt blender and one that only has a 100-Watt motor. Even though some blenders have multiple speed settings, if the motor lacks power, even the highest setting will struggle to puree frozen ingredients.
The smaller, single-serve blenders usually have smaller motors. This can be an issue if you plan on blending frozen ingredients and ice cubes. On the other hand, if you only plan on blending a few soft ingredients for your morning protein shake, you might be okay with one of the less powerful and more affordable options.
Milkshakes rarely require a powerful motor, as most of the ingredients are already in liquid form or soft and easy to blend. If you do not need a powerful motor, you can save yourself a reasonable amount of money by choosing a blender with a smaller motor.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How Do You Maintain a Blender?
Maintaining a blender is actually very simple. Just make sure you wash the blades, pitcher, and any other interior surface when you are finished using your blender. It is also important to allow everything to dry properly, as this will prevent corrosion.
Avoid submerging the body of the blender in water, as this can damage the motor. Instead, use a damp cloth and mild dish soap to clean the exterior.
How Long Will a Blender Last?
How long your new blender lasts will depend on how often you use it, as well as the quality of the blender itself. In most cases, a low-quality blender will last anywhere from 3 to 5 years with regular use, while one of the higher quality models can easily last for well over a decade.