No matter what type of frozen drinks you enjoy, choosing the best blender for handling ice and frozen ingredients will help you achieve that perfect consistency. However, some of the lower-quality blenders can really struggle when it comes to blending and ice crushing, which can result in drinks with an uneven consistency and large chunks of ice.
To help you pick the best personal blender for frozen drinks, as well as the best blender for ice and other treats like ice cream and iced coffee, we have taken an in-depth look at a variety of options. Here, we’ll narrow down our top picks for the best options on the market today.
Not only will we highlight some of the best blenders for frozen drinks, but we will also provide our helpful buyer’s guide, which will explain what you should look for in a new blender. Stop worrying about underpowered blenders and improperly blended frozen drinks. Choose a reliable blender that is actually up to the task!
The Best Blenders for Frozen Drinks and Ice
All of the blenders reviewed below were chosen because they have the powerful motors and sharp blades required to blend and pulverize solid ice as well as other frozen ingredients!
1. The Best Overall – Ninja – BN801 Professional Plus 1,400 Watt Blender System
Ninja has a reputation for offering some of the most powerful and durable blenders on the market, so it is no surprise that one of its blenders has taken our top spot for the best overall blender for frozen drinks and ice.
This complete blender system comes with two blending pitchers, as well as two 24oz. single-serve blender cups. This means this Nina blender is also one of the most versatile on our list. To ensure an even blend, and to make sure it can thoroughly puree ice and frozen ingredients, the blades extend the full length of each pitcher.
To make sure it can completely crush ice and other solid ingredients, the Ninja BN801 is powered by a 1,400-watt electric motor. This incredibly powerful motor explains why the Ninja BN801 is considered to be a professional-grade blender. The razor sharp blades also help pulverize and crush ice, so you will be able to consistently enjoy evenly blended frozen drinks.
It offers five unique functions, all of which rely on Ninja’s unique Auto-iQ Technology. This helps you take the guesswork out of making frozen drinks, as the intelligent pre-set programs combine unique pulsing patterns with extended blends. The extra-large 72oz. pitcher is ideal for making large batches of frozen drinks and cocktails, while two 24oz. single-serve blender cups are a great option if you are making a morning smoothie or protein shake.
The entire system is incredibly easy to clean, and the blades, pitchers, and single-serve cups are all dishwasher-safe. Overall, this is an outstanding blender for ice and frozen drinks, but it can also be used in countless other ways!
- Extremely powerful 1,400-watt electric motor has more than enough power to pulverize and blend ice cubes and frozen ingredients
- Dishwasher-safe components ensure that cleanup is a breeze
- Sharp and evenly spaced extractor blades ensure an even consistency that is free from ice chunks
- Comes with a food processor pitcher and blade attachment, so you can mix, chop, and puree non-frozen recipes
- Comes with two 24oz. single-serve cups and a matching blender attachment, so you can make frozen drinks for one
- Pre-programmed settings for frozen drinks and crushing ice
2. The Runner-up – CRANDDI – Professional 1,800W Countertop Blender
This high-end blender from CRANDDI takes our runner-up spot. Like the Ninja, it features a powerful electric motor and a large-capacity pitcher. This combination means that it is an excellent choice for blending ice and other frozen ingredients.
The CRANDDI’s 1,800-watt motor is even more powerful than the 1,400-watt motor found in the Ninja BN801, so it delivers professional results. What really sets this blender apart is the high-capacity 80oz. BPA-free pitcher. It is large enough to make smoothies and frozen drinks for the entire family. At 80 oz., it can easily make four-to-six servings in a single blend.
In terms of settings, this blender offers five speed settings that can be fine-tuned with the control dial. This lets you achieve different textures and blend your drinks to your exact desired consistency. A pulse setting helps agitate the ingredients and ensures your drink is free from ice chunks.
The blender also features six stainless-steel blades that are capable of blending both dry and wet ingredients. The blades are arranged in a way that they generate a vortex as the blender is operating, which helps create a smooth and even texture. Another feature we really like is the fact that it has a built-in safety mechanism, which ensures the motor operates properly. Automatic over-current and over-heating protection keep the motor operating safely and to its full potential.
CRANDDI also designed its Professional 1,800W Countertop Blender with a self-cleaning feature. You simply have to add a little dish soap and warm water to the pitcher. From there, run it at its highest setting and the interior will be cleaned in as little as 45 seconds!
While it is certainly an outstanding blender, it does not come with as many accessories as the Ninja BN801, which explains why it is our runner-up rather than our overall top pick. With that being said, it is an outstanding blender that is perfect for frozen drinks and blending ice!
- Powerful 1,800-watt motor can easily blend and pulverize ice
- Self-cleaning design makes it easy to clean the interior of the blender
- Features six stainless-steel blades that are stacked in a three-tier arrangement, which helps crush and blend ingredients from all angles
- Massive 80oz. blending pitcher is perfect for big families and when you are hosting guests
- Five speed settings and a pulse mode
- The high-capacity pitcher is not ideal for those that live alone and prefer to make frozen drinks for one
- Fairly expensive, so it is not a good option for those on a tight budget
3. The Best Premium Blender – Vitamix – E310 Professional-grade Explorian Blender
Vitamix blenders are considered to be some of the most powerful on the market today. The incredible power they generate comes from their high-performance motor, which is made from stainless-steel parts. This powerful motor can easily puree frozen ingredients and solid ice, as well as seeds, nuts, and more.
The stainless steel blades are laser-cut to ensure they have the perfect edge for breaking down ice and other stubborn ingredients. The fact they are laser-cut also means the blades will last for many years before they begin to show any noticeable signs of dulling. The motor generates so much power that the spinning blades will begin to generate friction heat in as little as six minutes. This can help break down ice and other frozen ingredients.
One of the highlights of Vitamix blenders is how easy they are to clean. When your blender is dirty, you can simply fill the pitcher with warm water with any mild dish soap. From there, run the blender at its highest speed, as this will allow it to self-clean in just 60 seconds. Not needing to disassemble and hand-clean your Vitamix each time you use it means it is an incredibly convenient blender.
As with all Vitamix models, this blender has a variable speed control dial, which lets you fine-tune the power rating. It has 10 different speeds as well as a pulse mode, which generates quick bursts of power. The highest speeds can easily blend solid ice and frozen ingredients, so you can use it to make just about any type of frozen drink or smoothie you can think up. The 48oz. container is also designed to help the blended ingredients mix properly. This helps make sure that all of your frozen drinks have an even consistency.
Overall, it is an outstanding blender that offers incredible power. While it is quite expensive, Vitamix blenders should be seen as an investment that can’t be beat.
- Incredibly powerful 120V motor can pulverize and blend ice in seconds
- 10 unique speed settings, as well as a convenient pulse mode
- Laser-cut, stainless-steel blades can handle the toughest ingredients without becoming dull
- Metal drive system and motor cooling system ensure the powerful motor can keep running for many years without showing any signs of wear
- Large 48oz. pitcher is designed to evenly mix the blended ingredients
- Self-cleaning mode makes sure that cleanup is a breeze
- Very expensive, especially for a blender that does not come with many extra accessories
4. The Best Budget-friendly Option – Hamilton Beach – 58148A Power Elite Blender with 12 Functions
For those that are in the market for a budget-friendly blender that is still powerful enough to blend ice and frozen ingredients, the Hamilton Beach Power Elite Blender is an outstanding option.
Despite its affordable price, it is equipped with a powerful 700-watt motor, which is more than powerful enough to blend large ice cubes. While the motor is relatively powerful for a budget-friendly blender, it is the unique Ice Sabre Blades that help ensure the blender has ice-crushing power. Another highlight is it offers 12 unique blending settings and features an easy-to-read control panel.
It has a glass-blending pitcher, which is something you usually only get with an expensive blender. The pitcher also has an easy-pour groove, so you will not spill any of your frozen drinks as you serve them. Hamilton Beach’s unique Wave Action System ensures that ingredients are pulled downward as the blender operates. This ensures an even and consistent drink, even if the drink you are creating contains a high volume of ice.
The combination of a powerful motor, razor-sharp blades, and 12 settings means you can create everything from classic fruit smoothies to icy alcoholic beverages. It is a very versatile blender that is incredibly easy to use. The fact that it is available at such an affordable price makes it an excellent option for anyone looking to save a bit of money.
- The pitcher, blades, and lid are all dishwasher-safe
- Affordable price point for such a high-quality blender
- Sharp blades and powerful motor ensure that it is a great blender for frozen drinks
- Unique, no-mess pouring spout
- Patented Wave Action System helps pull ingredients downward and create a vortex, which ensures the ingredients are evenly blended
- Glass pitcher and stainless-steel body
- 12 unique blending settings
- blending pitcher is too large for single servings, and a little too small for full families
5. Best Single-serve Blender – Ninja – BN401 Nutri Pro 1,100W Personal Blender
If you live alone or would prefer the convenience of a single-serve blender that can handle ice and frozen ingredients, the Ninja Nutri Pro is an excellent option. Despite its small size, it contains a powerful, 1,100-watt motor. This means it has more than enough power to pulverize and blend solid ice.
It also features Ninja’s patented Auto-iQ Technology, which takes the guesswork out of blending different ingredients. The one-touch system automatically detects the density of the ingredients being blended and adjusts the blend speed to the optimal level.
Pro Extractor Blades are positioned at the perfect height to achieve an even and uniform blend. It also helps extract nutrients within the ingredients, which is great news if you enjoy making healthy smoothies and protein shakes. Each blender comes with two cups and two spout lids, so you can easily make smoothies and frozen drinks to go.
It also comes with a recipe guide, which offers plenty of inspiration for new frozen drinks. The cups and blades are really easy to clean and they are even dishwasher-safe, so cleanup is a breeze. If you are looking for a small blender that can easily crush ice and break down frozen fruits and vegetables, the Ninja BN401 Nutri Pro is a fantastic option!
- Auto-iQ Technology offers timed blending programs that intelligently puree ingredients
- 1,100-watt motor can easily blend ice and other solid ingredients
- Pro Extractor Blades can crush ice and whole fruits
- Comes with two cups, two lids, and a recipe book
- Two pre-set programs and a pulse mode
- Dishwasher-safe cups, lids, and blade assembly
- The cups are difficult to clean by hand, as they have a narrow opening
6. Best for Frozen Drinks & Cocktails – Margaritaville – Bahamas Frozen Concoction Blender and Mixer
If you are looking for the ultimate frozen drink machine, you really can’t beat a Margaritaville blender. These fun frozen drink machines are specifically designed so you can create any number of frozen drinks, including a frozen cocktail.
Not only can it easily blend solid ice, it has an ice-shaving blade, which is perfect for those slushy drinks. For added convenience, it has a top-mounted ice reservoir, so you do not have to go running to the freezer every time you want to make a fresh batch of drinks. This explains why it is the perfect blender for hosting backyard parties and tropical-themed events.
While the Margaritaville Bahamas Frozen Drink Blender certainly has a fun look, it is not a toy. This highly capable blender has a powerful 400-watt motor that can pulverize ice in seconds. The base of the blender is alloy steel, so it is durable enough to last for many years. It has an automatic Shave N’ Blend cycle, as well as Shave Only and Pure Blend, so you create the exact frozen drink you want.
It even comes with serving cups, which feature recipe guidelines for popular frozen cocktails on their sides. Whether you enjoy serving margaritas and pina coladas to your guests, or you just want a powerful blender to make an ice-filled morning smoothie, this unique blender and mixer from Margaritaville is a really fun and exciting choice!
- Built-in ice reservoir makes it easy to make multiple batches of frozen drinks, which is ideal for parties and gatherings
- Comes with a mixing tool that has measurements for popular frozen cocktails
- Has an ice shaving feature, which is ideal for slushie drinks
- Dishwasher-safe parts and easy-to-clean metal exterior
- Powerful motor can blend ice in seconds
- Shatter-proof, plastic 36oz. blending jar with an easy-grip handle is perfect for serving frozen drinks to guests
- Automatically channels away melting ice, so all your drinks are slushy rather than watery
- Fairly bulky if you do not need the ice reservoir
Frozen Drink Blender Buyer’s Guide
Now that you have seen some of our top picks, we can highlight a few features that you should look for when shopping for a new blender. There are plenty of blenders out there that would struggle with ice and frozen ingredients, so it is important that you know what to look for.
If you are looking for a blender to make frozen drinks, make sure you keep an eye out for the following features:
A Powerful Motor
If you plan on blending ice, your blender will need a powerful electric motor. Some of the lower-quality blenders have motors that only operate at about 100 watts, which is not enough power to break down ice and other frozen ingredients.
As you can see from reading the blender reviews above, a powerful motor is critical, and it should always be one of the first features you look for. Anything over 300 watts should do the trick, but if you want fast results, a blender with a power rating of over 1,000 watts is ideal.
Variable Speed Settings
If you are looking to make frozen drinks, you should invest in a blender that has multiple speed settings, as this will help you fine-tune the blending speeds to achieve your desired consistency. High speeds help break the ice down in seconds, while the slower speeds help to mix everything together and ensure that your smoothie or frozen drink has an even consistency.
Pulse settings are also important, as frozen ingredients can be a little bit trickier to blend than soft and liquid ingredients. Pulsing helps agitate the ingredients and pull unblended chunks toward the spinning blades. Again, this is really helpful when you are blending ice.
If you plan on making large batches of frozen drinks, you should favor a blender that has a high-capacity pitcher. Not only will this allow you to make multiple servings in one blending session, a high-capacity pitcher is better for holding ice, which is one of the bulkiest and most awkward ingredients you are likely to put in your blender.
The material the pitcher is made from is also a feature you may want to look out for. Some people find that glass pitchers are better for frozen drinks, as they help to keep some of the cold in and prevent freshly blended drinks from melting. With that being said, there are plenty of plastic pitchers that work just as well. Just make sure that they are BPA-free and made from dishwasher-safe, durable plastic.
Easy-clean Surfaces and Dishwasher-safe Components
There is no getting around it, blended drinks tend to be very messy. If you want to save yourself plenty of time and frustration, choose a blender that is easy to clean. A dishwasher-safe pitcher will save you plenty of time, as will dishwasher-safe blades and serving cups. The exterior surfaces of your blender will also get messy from splashes and spills, so look for a blender with a smooth, easy-clean surface.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How Often Should You Clean Your Blender?
If you want your blender to last and look its best, you should clean it every single time you finish using it. You do not want trapped ingredients to spoil within the inner workings of your blender. If you have purchased a dishwasher-safe model, the cleaning process is incredibly easy. Just make sure you do not submerge the body of the blender, as this could damage the electric motor.
What is the Price Range for a New Blender?
Like most kitchen appliances, blenders range in price quite drastically. For a lower quality model, you can spend as little as $30, while the higher-end models can reach almost $1,000. How much you decide to spend will depend on your specific needs, as well as your own budget.
Choosing the right blender for ice and frozen drinks does not have to be a complicated process. By taking the time to choose a blender that has a powerful motor and sharp blades, you will ensure that your blender will be up to the task of blending ice and frozen ingredients.
Luckily, all of the blenders we highlighted and reviewed above are powerful enough to easily handle frozen drinks.
Whether you plan on serving frozen cocktails at your next backyard get-together, or you just like adding ice and frozen fruit to your morning smoothie, any of the blenders we listed above will help you create your favorite icy drinks!